Hepatitis B treatment in Mumbai
The liver is the largest organ present on the right side of the belly. It helps the body in digestion. Sometimes fat gets accumulated in the liver causing a disease known as fatty liver. Usually, the liver contains some amount of fat but if the fat exceeds more than 10% of the liver’s weight, it may result in inflammation and other complications. The inflammation of the liver is termed steatohepatitis. Consult now for Hepatitis B treatment in Mumbai from Dr. Vedant Karvir.
Fatty liver disease can be :
- Nonalcoholic fatty liver disease (nafld).
- Alcoholic fatty liver disease or steatohepatitis.
What is nonalcoholic fatty liver disease –
Nafld is a common disorder that is seen in people who consume very little or no alcohol. The liver gets enlarged due to the deposition of fat and swelling in the cells. This can be of two types:
- Simple fatty liver- there is fat in the liver but no inflammation is there. It does not cause any damage or complications.
- Nonalcoholic steatohepatitis (nash) – liver cells have inflammation and show damage due to the deposition of fat. This causes fibrosis or scarring of the liver and may lead to cirrhosis or liver cancer.
What is alcoholic fatty liver disease?
Heavy alcohol use may result in alcoholic fatty liver disease. The liver breaks down the alcohol and removes it from your body. During this process, some harmful substances are also generated which can damage liver cells, cause inflammation and weaken your body’s defense mechanism. The more alcohol you drink, the greater is the damage to your liver. If alcohol-related liver disease is not taken care of, it may lead to alcoholic hepatitis and cirrhosis.
Some people have higher chances of fatty liver disease than others. It is more common in people having:
- High blood pressure
- Type 2 diabetes
- High level of cholesterol and triglycerides.
- Metabolic syndrome.
How is the fatty liver disease diagnosed?
Fatty liver disease is difficult to diagnose as there are no symptoms. The doctor may ask you to get some blood tests and sometimes a biopsy is done. The doctor will ask about your medical history and whether you consume alcohol or not. Fatty liver is generally diagnosed with the help of liver function tests(sgot/sgpt) and an ultrasound.
How is nafld/nash treated?
As nafld is a lifestyle disease, it can be controlled by making a conscious effort to change your diet and regulate your cholesterol and diabetes.
Hepatitis is a condition wherein inflammation of the liver is seen due to viral infection. Hepatitis is classified into three types:
- Hepatitis a – this infection is caused due to contaminated food and is short-lived. There is no specific medicine for hepatitis a.
- Hepatitis b – this is a chronic condition caused by the hepatitis b virus (hbv). This spreads through body fluids or intravenous drug use. It may lead to liver cancer and organ failure if not treated in time. This can be managed with a nutritious diet and medication if required.
- Hepatitis c – it is caused by the hepatitis c virus (hcv) and is a long-term condition that spreads through blood. The infection may go away with time or lead to liver damage. This is treated with antiviral drugs.
Cirrhosis is caused by scarring or fibrosis of the liver. It is a late-stage liver disease and causes permanent damage to the liver. Scar tissue doesn’t allow the liver to function properly by blocking the flow of blood through the liver. This reduces the liver’s ability to process hormones, nutrients, and natural toxins. Late-stage cirrhosis can prove to be life-threatening.
What is the treatment for cirrhosis?
There is no cure for cirrhosis of the liver. Transplantation of the liver is the only available option for a person suffering from cirrhosis. Supportive treatment like ascitic (abdominal) fluid tapping, esophageal variceal band ligation can help to prevent complications.
To know more about Hepatitis B Treatment in Mumbai book an appointment with Globus Gastroenterology Hospital call on 98331 06104, 98331 87118 or visit our hospital at 201, Second Floor, Kothari Milestone Mall, Near Natraj Market, S.V Road, Malad West - 400064. For hospital directions click here.
Bloating | Cancers of Stomach, Intestine & Liver | Constipation | Hirshsprung’s Disease | Gallstone | Dysphagia | Inflammatory Bowel Disease | Pancreatitis | SIBO | Barrett’s Esophagus | Blood in Stools / Vomitus | Celiac Disease | Diarrhea | Fatty Liver | Gerd | Irritable Bowel Syndrome | Piles